Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Palomino's

Recently I tried the happy hour at Palomino's after hearing a lot of good things about it from my friends that frequent the one on the Eastside. To be honest, I really hadn't had a lot of interest in checking this one out because it's a chain. Not to say that chains can't be good, but when there are so many one of kind places around....why waste time on chains! Monday night was my second time at Palomino's, which I guess says something in it itself. I would have to say, it's not bad, very good in fact, and having been there twice, I have gotten a fairly good sampling of their menu.

The atmosphere is okay, being that it is located on the 3rd floor of City Centre Mall. It's a fairly large bar, but one of the main things my friend and I thought the first time we visited was how loud it was. Saying that makes me feel old, but truly it is a bustling place. :) I guess that also says something about the popularity of this happy hour, it's definitely not hurting for people. Probably due to one of it's biggest draws, aside from the food, is the fact that it's all night, 3 to close! You don't find that everywhere, and I guess that is one of the luxuries chains can afford.

I was rather impressed with the food as well. They have a very nice selection of flatbreads and pizza's, 2 of which I've tried, both delicious. The flatbreads are $7, but they are huge, and the pizza's are $5, also very good sized. I've tried the Prosicutto Flatbread, which has a pesto base, topped with prosciutto, arugula and shavings of pecorino sardo...loved it! And last night Colin and I tried the Italian Sausage and Mushroom Flatbread, also very tasty! My first time there we also got the Puget Sound Clams, which I really enjoyed. Generally I'm more of a mussels girl, but these were prepared with tomatoes and cubed salami (I think) which made them special and delicious. Both the Dungeness Crab Artichoke Dip and Pigs in a Blanket were also worth the try. The prices are not as inexpensive as some happy hours ($3-$7.50), but the portions, at least with flatbreads and pizzas, seem to make it worthwhile. They also have drink specials, all night as well. A selection of cocktails, beer and a house red and white wine, all for $4.

I will admit, although skeptical at first, I will be adding this happy hour to my repertoire of worthwhile repeats. Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment