Saturday, April 10, 2010

Market Spice in Pike's Place Market

Keeping with my theme of inexpensive ways to enjoy food, I felt like I couldn't go without mentioning what I have found from talking to other locals (well, at least my friends) is somewhat of a hidden treasure here in Seattle. Market Spice is a spice and tea shop located in Pike's Place Market right next the famous Pike's Place Fish. Anyone who has been to Seattle and has been to the Market is sure to have walked past or even into this shop. Although if like me, you've never really done much but browse and taste their tea samples. It wasn't till I had been living here for awhile that I really took the time to explore there vast spice slection.

The shop has almost every kind of dried herb or spice you can imagine, but what both shocked and thrilled me was how inexpensive they were. Part of this comes from the fact that it is all sold in bags, by the ounce, just like a bulk store, so you aren't paying for the packaging. I happen to have a spice rack that I can refill the jars, so if you don't, in the long run, it would be a great investment. Or just save the containers next time you run out of a store bought herb or spice.

Of course, I like many cooks today, choose fresh herbs when I'm able, but it is great to have good quality dried ones on hand. That is one of the main things I noticed once trying a few, they are a much better quality, with better flavor, but SO much less expensive. For example, a few years back I tried and fell in love with the blend Herbs de Provence, but they are a bit pricing in the regular grocery store. I'm not sure of exact weights, but I bought a good sized bag, more than enough to fill my empty jar, for $1 or less. Same thing with a spicy italian blend I've found there and like, I think the same size came to $0.82, or something ridiculously cheap like that. So, needless to say, being the bargain hunter that I am, I was sold immediately after that point.

If you happen to find yourself in the Market sometime soon, give this shop a try. I am also always very interested to find where others are finding good deals, so if have any tips, let me know!

P.S. I have started posting links to the places in my posts, under Location Links at the top of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment